It’s the time of year where bunnies are popping up everywhere, and it’s understandable because they are just so dang cute! Today I’m showing you how to make a Mini Bunny Doll, a fun little Easter craft project that makes the perfect little Easter gift or decoration.
Fun to make from just a few felt scraps this cute bunny doll was inspired by a book from my childhood.
When I was a little girl one of my favorite picture books was The Big Bunny and the Magic Show. It was ordered from a book club catalog in the lead-up to Easter. I so adored this book. For me, it was about the moody illustrations.
After reading this book I developed empathy for the adorable, but weary Easter Bunny.
How to Make a Mini Bunny Doll
You will need:
- Felt sheets or scraps – peach for body and bright color for hair
- Cotton fabric scraps
- Sewing Thread – contrasting color
- Hobby fill or fiber for stuffing
- Sewing Needle
- Scissors – both paper and fabric
- Fabric marker pen
- Haemostat or tweezers
- Dressmakers pins
- Marker pens
1. Print template at 100% and the pattern pieces.
2. Place the pattern pieces into three color groupings. Hair and shoes together; Shirt and skirt together; Body and ears together.
3. Lay the pattern pieces on the felt sheets and draw outlines, as per the pattern notes.
4. Cut out the felt pieces.
5. Lay the shirt, hair, and shoes on the two body pieces and stitch along the inside edges as per the illustrated reference guide.
6. Sew the facial details, using a plain stitch. Refer to the body pattern piece reference.
7. Mirror the earpieces next to each other and fold closed. Stitch the two ears closed at the base.
8. Layer the body pieces together, and pin. Blanket-stitch (or whip stitch) along the outside edge of the body. Keep the top of the head open.
9. Stuff the body with hobby fill. Using a hemostat or tweezers will make the job so much easier.
10. Slip the ears into the top of the head. Stitch the head opening closed.
11. Sew an ornamental leg division, with one long stitch looping at the base of the body.
12. Layer the skirt pieces together and blanket-stitch the sides together.
13. Run a plain stitch along the top edge of the skirt. Then gently pull the thread, gathering the skirt.
14. Slip the skirt onto the body. Tie off the gathered thread ends. Stitch the skirt onto the body, feeding the needle through the entire body. Now your doll is complete.
15. You can add some color to the face, using marker pens.